Saturday, June 13, 2015

Sushi at Seryna


It has been a several years since my last entry and I thought it would be fitting to go back to where it all began- Seryna. This restaurant can be found in Little Tokyo, near Makati Cinema Square and Mile Long, and is my go-to place for good Japanese food. As a creature of (food) habit, I decided to change my usual order of kaizen gozen (also known as chirashi don) with the sushi lunch special. Previous attempts to wean myself off the kaizen were met with disappointment so I was in for a pleasant treat.









The tray had the usual soup, seaweed, salad and dessert that normally come with the lunch specials. But the main star is a plate with six pieces of nigiri sushi and 6 pieces of maki. The nigiri consists of tamago, tuna, squid, salmon, shirmp and an unknown fish. The maki uses something I do not see in other places- minced tuna. This gave the maki a softer texture when you eat it.


I read that you should eat sushi and sashimi starting with the light colored pieces and working your way up to the darker fish, which tend to be more fatty and/or flavorful. So, the order I ate was shrimp, squid, mystery fish, tuna, the six maki, salmon and the tamago last because it was sweet. The tamago holds a special place in my heart since I have cooked it at home before and it is a big slice covering a relatively tiny ball of rice.


All-in-all, this may not seem like much but it is still quite filling and, to my surprise, a good alternative to the kaizen gozen, even if it does not have as much variety as its deconstructed counterpart. If you are looking for something to fill that sushi craving, this does not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment